Allergies & Sensitivities
What Are Allergies?
The most common medical complaint veterinarians see in dogs is skin or ear related. Unlike humans who react to allergens with nasal symptoms, dogs react with skin or ear problems.
Most common signs are frequent itching, chewing and biting:
- The tail
- The stomach
- The insides of the hind legs
- Licking and chewing the paws
Allergies usually affects pets most in spring or fall, similar to their Guardians.
When Allergens are Inhaled
- Can also result in sneezing, coughing and watery eyes
Food Related Reactions
- Account for only about 10% of allergy problems in dogs
- Are easily treated Flea
- Severe itching is caused from a reaction to the flea’s saliva and not to the flea itself
Treating allergy symptoms will vary from animal to animal – Pet Planet may have some solutions for you and your pet. Possible treatments may include:
Nutrition / Holistic Care
Choosing healthy, high quality foods and supplements can boost the immune system and may get to the root of the problem. Many allergies can also be prevented through diet. Most grocery foods lack essential fatty acids and tend to contain artificial preservatives that can contribute to allergy-like symptoms. It is best to avoid common fillers such as corn, soy, wheat etc. which are known allergy stimulants.
Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids
- Natural anti-inflammatory agents
- May not reduce itching
- Baths may or may not include oatmeal, Epsom Salts or tea tree oil medicated shampoos
- Provides temporary relief
Antihistamines / Steroids
Do not get to the root of the problem and should only be used short-term to help with the symptoms.
Many veterinarians are now recognizing the practical nature of holistic allergy treatments. The success of any treatment can rest primarily on you – the Guardian – to provide consistent care.
- Avoid allergen contact, even if your dog has received allergy shots
- Reduce the possibility of mold by using a dehumidifier
- HEPA filters can control dust and pollen
Choose healthy, high quality foods and supplements to help build your pet’s immune system.